SENIORS’ NEWSLETTER AUGUST 2017
CLUB FIXTURES & RESULTS
Road Relays: The autumn road relays are almost upon us. If you have not already advised Lizzi or Byron of your availability, please do so by Thursday. The deadline for entries is this weekend. Remember that you need to have renewed your membership to be able to run.
- Sat 9th September: NW Road Relays, Blackpool. 4 legs (men) / 3 legs (ladies)
- Sat 16rd September: Northern Road Relays, SportCity. 6 legs (men) / 4 legs (ladies)
- Sat 7th October: National Road Relays, Sutton Park, Birmingham. 6 legs (men) / 4 legs (ladies)
The ladies’ team qualifies automatically for the national, and we are looking to enter a team for the first time in a while. The men can qualify by finishing in the top 25 at the Northerns on 16th September
Northern League Track & Field: Despite a reduced team due to injuries and holidays, we consolidated our 4thposition at the final fixture earlier this month and so have successfully retained out status in Division 2WC. In our first season at this level after last year’s promotion, this is an excellent result and congratulations go to all athletes involved, and in particular to team manager Giles Bennett. The division was won by Holmfirth Harriers, while Seaton and Pendle were relegated. Northern League Final Standings.
Cheshire League Track & Field: The final fixture in the Cheshire League is this Sunday in Warrington. If you are able to compete, please let team manager Brianne Turner (email@example.com) know asap. We are currently in 3rd position, out of 21 teams, and so are on course for our best finish in almost a decade. It’s therefore crucial that we field a strong team, so your participation cold really make a difference. Cheshire League standings after match 3.
If you’ve not competed in track and field events before, the Cheshire League is a great introduction, so please have a go! Remember that the 3,000m also earns points for the Grands Prix.
Red Rose Cross Country: Fixtures have now been confirmed. Alison Dale is Cross Country secretary this year and will be collecting entries in the next few weeks. It is £5 for the series, if paid and registered before 30th September. Thereafter you have to enter yourselves via the Sportsoft website at a cost of £10. The fixtures are:
- Saturday 14th October: Leigh
- Saturday 11th November: Chorley
- Saturday 18th November: Bolton
- Saturday 2nd December: Rossendale
Championship Cross Country Races: Championship race dates in the new year will be:
- Greater Manchester: Saturday 6th January, Heaton Park
- Northerns: Saturday 27th January, Harewood House, Leeds
- Nationals: Saturday 24th February, Parliament Hill Fields, London
GRAND PRIX 2016-17
Updated standings can be found here following last Thursday’s Stan Curran race. There remain 3 opportunities to earn points before the deadline of 30th September:are:
- Cheshire League 3000m on Sunday 3rd September
- Bury 10k: Sunday 17th September*
- Any half marathon before 30th September: just email me a link to your result.
* due to the reschedule of the Northern Road Relay, it now falls on the same weekend as the Bury 10k. Grand Prix points can only be scored for the Bury 10k by athletes who make themselves available to compete in the road relay the day before (whether or not you are selected).
DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
Please make note of the following dates and keep them free!
- Thursday 28th September, 8pm. AGM – at the clubhouse after training
- Saturday 14th October: Annual presentation evening
- Saturday2nd December: Christmas party
- Sunday 17th December: Christmas handicap
The Presentation evening and Christmas party will both be held at a new location this year: St Anne’s Parish Hall, Chapel Street, Tottington, BL8 4AP
Volunteering: The club runs on volunteers and we have a small number of people doing the majority of the work. We always need volunteers to help run the mini-leagues, the tuck shop and when hosting events like the Cheshire League. Please make yourself available whenever possible – even if you can spare an hour between events.
Sunday Morning Speed / Speed Endurance Sessions: John Conroy is now running coaching sessions at 10:00 on Sundays. These are aimed at Senior/under-20/under-17 400m/800m/1500m competitors. Athletes should speak to their lead coach first to gauge suitability to undertake the sessions. For additional information you/your coach should speak to John. These are then followed by a separate Strength & Conditioning session at 10:30. Training costs £2 for members, as usual.
If you have any questions, or there’s anything else that you’d like to see in the newsletter please don’t hesitate to contact Lizzi or me by email, Facebook or in person at the track (I’m there most Tuesdays, as is Lizzi).
If there’s anything else that you’d like to see in the Newsletter, please contact:
- Byron Edwards – Men’s team captain Byronedwards74@aol.com
- Lizzi Cheshire – Ladies’ team captain firstname.lastname@example.org
Byron Edwards, 28th August 2017