Everything you need to know for the next month or so …. please take five minutes to read.
The 12 & 6 stage Road Relays are being held on Sunday 25th March in the delightful surrounds of Birkenhead Park, on the Wirral. The event takes the following format:
Men: 12 stages. Legs 1,3,5 & 7 are approx. 8.5k, with the remaining legs approx 4.3km. Start is 12:00 noon.
Ladies: 6 stages. Legs 1 & 4 are approx 8.5km, with the remaining legs approx 4.3km. Start is 12:05pm.
If you are a competitive senior athlete, please make your available for selection, and advise Byron (men) or Lizzi (Ladies) asap whether you are free to run. Remember that this is a qualifying event for inclusion within the final standings of the Senior Grand Prix.
Following the weather-based cancellation of Race #2, Heaton parkrun, this been rescheduled to Saturday 17th March. This should give us some glorious Spring weather and so cancellation is unlikely. It’ll also be a nice primer for the road relays the following weekend.
This means that the next race is the Terry Nortley 10-miler on Sunday 25th February at 11am. If you haven’t already entered, you can do so here. We’ll also be having a social afterwards, of which further details are below.
More details about the Grand Prix, including the race schedule and the competition rules can be found here.
With a view to improving and increase socialising opportunities and to help foster club unity, the committee has appointed Brianne Turner and Alison Dale as joint social secretaries. Going forward the newsletter will include a social section, written by Brianne. Here’s your first taste:
– Following the Terry Nortley race last year, a group of us enjoyed lunch at The Swan and Cemetery on Manchester Road. It would be great to repeat it again this year. I will be booking a table for 1:45pm. Please let me know (via email or Facebook) by Sunday 11th February if you want to come along as I will need to book a table in advance. Looking forward to seeing you all there.
– One of our runners had the brilliant idea of us getting together to have a ‘parkrun and brunch’ social every two months or so, possibly touring at different parkruns. This would purely be a social event and just a great way of us socialising and doing the two things most of us love the most – running and eating! These will be promoted on social media a few weeks prior to the date and will never clash with any club competitions.
Any other ideas for social events, speak to me at the track, drop me an email or send me a Facebook message. Here’s to a great 2018!
Website: further details of the key competitions for seniors can be found on the website. These pages contain information about how the competitions work, future fixtures and past results:
- Senior Grand Prix
- Northern League (Track & Field)
- Red Rose Cross Country
- Cheshire League (Track & Field) – to follow
- Road Relays – to follow
Volunteers: the club is run entirely by volunteers. We are looking for additional help in a numbers of areas:
- club admin
- team management over the summer
- people to train as officials to help us out at track and field events.
If you can help, please contact Helen Vaughan at email@example.com
Juniors: There are clear guidelines for juniors wishing to join the club. Before attending a training session, a potential new junior member MUST attend an induction session. There are held at 6pm sharp on the first and third Tuesdays of each month, and are by prior arrangement only. An induction can be arranging by contacting Helen Vaughan on the email address above.
If you have any questions, or there’s anything else that you’d like to see in the newsletter please don’t hesitate to contact Lizzi, Brianne or me by email, Facebook or in person at the track (I’m there most Tuesdays, as is Lizzi).
If there’s anything else that you’d like to see in the Newsletter, please contact:
- Byron Edwards – Men’s team captain Byronedwards74@aol.com
- Lizzi Cheshire – Ladies’ team captain firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brianne Turner – Social Media Manager & Social Secretary Brianne.email@example.com
Byron Edwards, 4th February 2018