CLUB FIXTURES & RESULTS
Red Rose Cross Country: After a strong performance by both men’s and ladies’ teams in the first fixture at Leigh, we move onto Chorley. Location details, course map and start times can be found here. The remaining fixtures are:
- Saturday 11th November: Chorley
- Saturday 18th November: Bolton
- Saturday 2nd December: Rossendale
If you want to run but haven’t entered, you can still get a number on the day – just turn up a little earlier and sign up at registration.
Championship Cross Country Races: Championship race dates in the new year will be:
- Greater Manchester: Saturday 6th January, Heaton Park
- Northerns: Saturday 27th January, Harewood House, Leeds
- Nationals: Saturday 24th February, Parliament Hill Fields, London
12 & 6 Stage Road Relays: The provisional date for this event is Sunday March 25th, again in Stanley Park, Blackpool. Please keep this date free so we can enter a full team.
CLUB GRAND PRIX 2017-18
The 2017-18 event is currently being worked on. There were a couple of races last year with very few participants so I am looking to change it around. If are any races that you would like to see included or if you have any other ideas that you would like me to consider, please email me at email@example.com before the 5th of November.
The Red Rose cross country fixtures will again be the first event – your highest placing in any of the four fixtures counts, so make sure you run!
The annual presentation evening took place earlier this month, with prizes awarded to senior athletes as follows:
- Coach’s award – seniors: Ben Coop, Lizzi Cheshire
- Coach’s award – masters: Giles Bennett, Katie Geelan
- Grand Prix – seniors: Ben Coop, Katie Geelan
- Grand Prix – masters: Byron Edwards, Alison Dale
- Team Manager’s award – Northern League: Emmanuel Mufakazi, Nicola Quick
- Team Manager’s award – Cheshire League: Tom Mahoney (also Hattie Vaughan, U17)
- Most Improved Athlete – Ben Coop
- Best Club member – Alison Dale
- Best Field Event Performance – Roger Morley (also Grace Goodsell, U15)
The club place for the 2018 London Marathon was won by Colin Smith in the ballot.
More details of the event and other prizes can be found here.
DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
Some important dates coming up, please take note and make an effort to attend.
Sat 2nd December – Christmas Party: Another important date for your diary – also taking place at St Anne’s Parish Hall, Chapel Street, Tottington, BL8 4AP. The date is as usual on the evening of the final Cross Country fixture. Tickets will be available shortly.
Sun 17th December – Christmas handicap race: A chance for everyone at the club to compete against each other, with the slowest runners setting off first and the fastest last. The first to cross the finish line wins! Held at the track, time tbc.
12/13th May – Greater Manchester Track & Field Championships: The club have been selected as host of the championships next year. This is a very prestigious event and our success reflects a brilliant effort by the bid team. The date is still provisional and a working party has been set up to organise matters, led by John Simpson. We will need plenty of volunteers to ensure that the event runs smoothly, so if you are interested please see John, Helen Vaughan or Mark Granby.
While core training remains on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the track, there are also other weekly sessions available to members:
Cross Country Training: Through cross country season, Geoff Little will be running off-road training sessions in Heaton Park on Saturday mornings. Meet at 09:30 by the finish funnel of parkrun. Sessions are free for Bury AC members. You’ll need trail shoes.
Sunday Strength & Conditioning Sessions: John Conroy is continuing to run Strength & Conditioning sessions every Sunday at 10:30. Training costs £2 for members, as usual.
If you have any questions, or there’s anything else that you’d like to see in the newsletter please don’t hesitate to contact Lizzi or me by email, Facebook or in person at the track (I’m there most Tuesdays, as is Lizzi).
If there’s anything else that you’d like to see in the Newsletter, please contact:
- Byron Edwards – Men’s team captain Byronedwards74@aol.com
- Lizzi Cheshire – Ladies’ team captain firstname.lastname@example.org
Byron Edwards, 28th October 2018