Senior Grand Prix
Last updated: 16th March 2018
BURY AC – Seniors Grand Prix 2018/19: An annual points competition open to all paid-up competitive members of Bury AC aged 18 or over on 1st October 2018. This is designed to encourage increased participation in club events and local races. Therefore only athletes who have participated in club events will retain their standing in the final table, as outlined in the rules below. The Grand Prix will run from 1stOct – 30thSept annually, with prizes given at the presentation evening in December.
Categories: Men & Women. Senior and Veteran (Masters). Veterans are those aged 40 or over at 1stOctober 2018.
Points: Males & females score separately. No separate scoring for Veterans, so a Veteran could win the overall prize.
The first finisher of each gender among eligible Bury AC runners will be awarded 12 points, the second finisher eleven points and so on down to the eleventh finisher of each gender who earns two points. All other entrants earn one point.
Joker: All athletes get a “joker” which they can use to double the points scored in one race in the schedule. The use of the joker must be advised to the club captain (Byron Edwards or Lizzi Cheshire) at least 24 hours BEFORE the published start time for the event.
Rules: Please make yourself aware of the following rules, which are not discretionary:
- Points only count where the runner has registered in the race as a member of Bury AC and wears the club vest during the race.
- Runners are responsible for arranging their own race entry, either directly or – for Red Rose – through the club. Bear in mind that some races may sell out, so enter early or you may miss out.
- Only the official, published race results will be used to calculate points awards.
- To retain their place in the final standings, an athlete must have represented the club (or made themselves available for selection where competitive places are limited) for at least one fixture in a minimum of two of the three primary competitions in which Bury AC compete:
- Red Rose Cross Country (4 fixtures Oct-Dec)
- Northern League Track & Field (4 fixtures May-Aug)
- Road Relays (3 fixtures; 1 in March & 2 in September – excludes Nationals if we qualify)
|Race type||Specific event||Date||Points award||Event link / entry|
|Cross Country||Any Red Rose event||4 fixtures (Oct-Dec)||By highest finish position in any eligible race||Results|
|Multi-terrain 10 miles||Terry Nortley||Sun 24th Feb 11am||By finish position||Results|
|Parkrun (5km)||Heaton parkrun||Sat 16th Mar 9am||By finish position||Results|
|Road 10k||Salford 10k||Fri 19th April 10am (Good Friday)||By finish position||Enter here|
|Road 5k||Hollingworth Lake 5k (Race 2)||Weds 8th May||By finish position||Race information|
|Track 3,000m||Trafford Grand Prix Meetings – any 3,000m (8 dates)||Tuesdays: 30thApr, 14th May, 4th,/18th June, 9th/23rd July, 6th/20th Aug||Best time||Series information|
|Road 10k||Rochdale 10k||Tuesday 2nd July||By finish position||To follow|
|Trail 5k||Stan Curran Reservoir race||Thurs 22nd August 7pm||By finish position||Enter here|
|Road 10k||Bury 10k (subject to change if clash with road relays)||Sunday 15th Sept 09:30||By finish position||Enter here|
|Half marathon||Any (with some exceptions – see below)*||Any||By fastest time in any half marathon – link to official result to be submitted to club captain||N/a|
* A half marathon will NOT score points if it clashes with a club event (Red Rose, Northern League or Road Relay) within 3 days either side and the athlete does not also represent the club in that event (e.g. any athletes who ran the Manchester Half on 14thOctober but didn’t compete in the Red Rose XC at Leigh the day before will not score points; likewise Wilmslow clashes with the Road Relays and is not an eligible race and nor will GNR count if it clashes with Autumn Road Relays).
PAST RESULTS & WINNERS
Mens winners: Byron Edwards (Senior), Steve Parker/Giles Bennett (Masters, Joint winners)
Ladies winners: Lizzi Cheshire (Senior), Katie Geelan (Masters)
Mens winners: Ben Coop (Senior), Byron Edwards (Masters)
Ladies winners: Katie Geelan (Senior), Alison Dale (Masters)
Mens winners: Ben Coop (Senior), Jim Ardin (Masters)
Ladies winners: Jenny Yates (Senior), Alison Dale (Masters)