Welcome to the first online newsletter. Same top class content, new format. Happy reading.
Northern League Track & Field: We further consolidated our 4th place in Division 2WC with another excellent all round performance last weekend. We just missed on on 3rd place by 5 points (364 to 359), which shows our continuing improvement, and is a testament to the willingness of athletes to compete in multiple events. There is one remaining fixture, in Bolton on Saturday 5th August. With 5th and 6th in the division getting relegated, we need another good turnout to ensure that we retain our Division 2 status. Please confirm your availability to team manager Giles Bennett (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Cheshire League Track & Field: The second fixture at Salford on 30th June saw a good turnout from seniors, with the senior men having entrants in all disciplines. The Cheshire League offers an excellent opportunity to try new events, or to experience a track & field fixture if you haven’t competed before. The winning teams tend to be those who field most athletes, so you are welcome to compete whatever standard you are at. Team manager Brianne Turner (email@example.com) will be soon be asking your availability for the next fixture on Sunday 30th July, which is a home fixture for us. This means that we also need volunteers to help run the event, so if you are free that day, please make yourself available to support the club. Without volunteers we cannot stage the event.
The final fixture is at Warrington on Saturday 3rd September.
Road Relays: Dates for the road relays are below. I will be acting as team manager and will be managing entries – please hold the dates clear in your diaries, and let me know asap if you’re free to run (or not) by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sat 9th September: NW Road Relays, Blackpool. 4 legs (men) / 3 legs (ladies)
- Sat 16rd September: Northern Road Relays, SportCity. 6 legs (men) / 4 legs (ladies)
- Sat 7th October: National Road Relays, Sutton Park, Birmingham. 6 legs (men) / 4 legs (ladies)
The ladies’ team qualifies automatically for the national, and we are looking to enter a team for the first time in a while. The men can qualify by finishing in the top 25 at the Northerns on 16th September.
Red Rose Cross Country: Fixtures have now been confirmed. Alison Dale is Cross Country secretary this year and will be collecting entries. It is £5 for the series, if paid and registered before 30th September. Thereafter you have to enter yourselves via the Sportsoft website at a cost of £10. The fixtures are:
- Saturday 14th October: Leigh
- Saturday 11th November: Chorley
- Saturday 18th November: Bolton
- Saturday 2nd December: Rossendale
Championship Cross Country Races: Championship race dates in the new year will be:
- Greater Manchester: Saturday 6th January, Heaton Park
- Northerns: Saturday 27th January, Harewood House, Leeds
- Nationals: Saturday 24th February, Parliament Hill Fields, London
GRAND PRIX 2016-17
There have been no races since the last newsletter, so the standings are unchanged, and can be found here:
The next race is the Millbrook Monster 10km trail race in Staybridge on Wednesday 26th July, which you can enter here.
Thereafter, the remaining races are:
- Cheshire League 3000m, on any of the dates above
- Stan Curran Reservoir 5k: Thurs 24th August
- Bury 10k: Sunday 17th September*
- Any half marathon before 30th September: just email me a link to your result.
* due to the reschedule of the Northern Road Relay, it now falls on the same weekend as the Bury 10k. Grand Prix points can only be scored for the Bury 10k by athletes who make themselves available to compete in the road relay the day before (whether or not you are selected).
DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
Please make note of the following dates and keep them free!
- Sat 14th October: Annual presentation evening
- Sat 2nd December: Christmas party
- Sun 17th December: Christmas handicap
TRAFFORD OPEN TRACK & FIELD FIXTURES
For those looking for extra opportunities to compete on the track, the remaining Trafford open fixtures are all distance running/throws and are on Tuesdays July 25th, August 15th and August 29th. Held at Trafford Athletic Club, Stratford, entry costs £5 for one event and £2 per additional event and £2 for spectators. More details can be found here.
Club track & field championship: One of the items discussed at committee this month was the idea of holding a club track and field competition one weekend next year. This would be a competition for club members only and would probably be followed by a barbecue and social. This would only be held if there is sufficient interest: please feed back to me or any other committee member if you’d like to see this happen.
Volunteering: The club runs on volunteers and we have a small number of people doing the majority of the work. We always need volunteers to help run the mini-leagues, the tuck shop and when hosting events like the Cheshire League. Please make yourself available whenever possible – even if you can spare an hour between events.
Sunday Morning Speed / Speed Endurance Sessions: John Conroy is now running coaching sessions at 10:00 on Sundays. These are aimed at Senior/under-20/under-17 400m/800m/1500m competitors. Athletes should speak to their lead coach first to gauge suitability to undertake the sessions. For additional information you/your coach should speak to John. These are then followed by a separate Strength & Conditioning session at 10:30. Training costs £2 for members, as usual.
If you have any questions, or there’s anything else that you’d like to see in the newsletter please don’t hesitate to contact Lizzi or me by email, Facebook or in person at the track (I’m there most Tuesdays, as is Lizzi).
If there’s anything else that you’d like to see in the Newsletter, please contact:
- Byron Edwards – Men’s team captain Byronedwards74@aol.com
- Lizzi Cheshire – Ladies’ team captain email@example.com
Byron Edwards, 15th July 2017