With the Christmas party almost upon us and the Red Rose season well underway, the excitement continues this month with the launch of the 2017/18 club Grand Prix. What a time to be alive. Read on to discover more …
Saturday 2nd December, 7:30pm – Christmas Party: Taking place next Saturday night at St Anne’s Parish Hall, Chapel Street, Tottington, BL8 4AP. Tickets are £5 and will be available in the clubhouse this week, and also on the door. Please buy a ticket in advance if possible, to help us plan numbers for catering.
Saturday 16th December, 10:30 am – Christmas handicap race: Date changed from Sunday 17th to avoid a clash with the Indoor Meeting. A chance for everyone at the club to compete against each other, with the slowest runners setting off first and the fastest last. The first to cross the finish line wins! This year there will also be a sprint handicap. A sheet will be put up in the clubhouse for you to register interest, There are no entries on the day because the handicapper needs to work out start times in advance!
CLUB FIXTURES & RESULTS
Red Rose Cross Country: The final fixture in this season’s league is at Rossendale next Saturday. Full details including times, location and course map can be found here.
Current team and individual standings after three events are here. Please make yourself available to run if you can, both mens and ladies teams need as many athletes as possible to secure the best result.
If you want to run but haven’t yet entered, you can still get a number on the day – just turn up a little earlier and sign up at registration.
Championship Cross Country Races: Championship race dates in the new year will be:
- Greater Manchester: Saturday 6th January, Heaton Park (Enter here. Entries close 28th Dec)
- Northerns: Saturday 27th January, Harewood House, Leeds (Entry via Alison Dale; closes 12th Jan)
- Nationals: Saturday 24th February, Parliament Hill Fields, London (Entry via Alison Dale; closes 12th Jan)
National Indoor Championships: These take place on the weekend of 13/14th January in Sheffield. The full range of sprints, endurance (up to 3,000m), jumps and throws are available. You can enter here.
12 & 6 Stage Road Relays: The provisional date for this event is Sunday March 25th. Please keep this date free so we can enter a full team.
Northern League (track and field): Dates have been announced for next season’s fixtures, which are below. Giles Bennett will once again be team manager.
Match 1 Saturday 5 May 2018 Blackburn Harriers & AC @Blackburn
Match 2 Sunday 3 June 2018 Bury AC @ Bury
Match 3 Sunday, 8 July 2018 East Cheshire Harriers & Tameside AC @ Ashton under Lyne
Match 4 Saturday, 4 August 2018 Spenborough & District AC @ Cleckheaton
CLUB GRAND PRIX 2017-18
The 2017-18 schedule and rules have now been been finalised and can be found here. There have been a few changes from last year:
- Qualification has now been simplified: you now just have to have represented the club in two of three three primary competitions (Red Rose XC, Northern Track & Field League, Road Relays). So if you haven’t yet run a cross country race, get yourself to Rossendale next Saturday!
- The two summer events (Two Towers Fell Race and Millbrook Monster) that were poorly attended have been removed.
- In addition to their new-found status as a retirement home for ex-Bury AC senior ladies, Radcliffe AC are also one of the best race organisers in the business. Hence we now have another of their events on our schedule: the Radcliffe 10k in April in addition to the Terry Nortley 10 miler in February.
- We have also added a parkrun in January at Heaton Park
Please read the rules and fixtures fully. Entering races is your own responsibility, so keep an eye for entries opening. The Salford 10k is already open and will sell out so enter now!
We are gradually updating the website with a view that it becomes the central repository for information about the club. This will include a page for each of the major competitions, which will be regularly updated and include all information you need to know about how the fixture works, fixtures dates and locations, results etc. So far we have pages for:
We will also be removing redundant pages so that yo can be confident that information on the website is up to date. Please take a look. Any feedback and suggestions most welcome!
If you have any questions, or there’s anything else that you’d like to see in the newsletter please don’t hesitate to contact Lizzi or me by email, Facebook or in person at the track (I’m there most Tuesdays, as is Lizzi).
If there’s anything else that you’d like to see in the Newsletter, please contact:
- Byron Edwards – Men’s team captain Byronedwards74@aol.com
- Lizzi Cheshire – Ladies’ team captain email@example.com
Byron Edwards, 26th November 2018